Monday, March 4, 2013

Swazi Blessings {Days 1-3}

When anxiety was great within me,  
your consolation brought me joy. {Psalm 94:19}
Every day there was a scripture or multiple scriptures that we either talked about or that really just hit home to me.  We talked about the verse above, and I think it set the tone for entire trip.  When we were anxious or had fear the Lord calmed us with his words and his presence.

The first three days of my trip to Swaziland were insane, packed to the brim and emotionally overwhelming.  As I look back on my journal entries {I am SOOO thankful for the advice to journal daily} I can tell how exhausted I was because parts of my journal just don't make sense... So as I posted earlier {actually in flight!} the plane ride was very long, and as many of you may or may not know I am very scared of flying [fear concurred]! We said a big group prayer when we got to the airport and again in small groups on the plane.  My row mates Rachel and Emily made me feel so safe and loved, constantly checking in on how I was doing and distracting me from take offs and landings. I used my essential oils from my friend Brittany and they were a life saver {+Dramamine}.

Stephen, Avery, Krista, Iliea and Ellie Prince
Once we landed in J-burg we got to FINALLY meet our missionaries the Prince's and Holte's {More on the Holtes in the GLA post}!! Krista and her husband Stephen moved their family from MN to Swazi 2 years ago and have been helping build the RVC ministry in Swazi.  Krista found me on Facebook a month of so before we left on the trip so we had been chatting and getting to know each other from 8,000 miles away.  It was so awesome to finally get to hug her and here her amazing testimony in person.  The Prince family is one of the most amazing families I have ever met. Their dedication and devotion to the kingdom of God are so evident in everything they do.  Their sweet children have such servant hearts and are the most well behaved kiddos I have ever met!! The girls and I share a passion for hair accessories which made for some fun photo op's.
Iliea, Gretch and Ellie
After a night in Jo-burg spent trying to stay awake and learning about Swazi culture, we geared up for a long bus ride to Swaziland. We did yoga and enjoyed the beautiful scenery! My roomie Emily is a Yoga junkie, so she had some good moves for Rachel and I.  The Hotel we stayed at in Johannesburg was breathtaking, the accommodations were amazing the the hotel grounds were spectacular.
Rachel and Emily practicing


Gretch and Emily


Our entire group getting ready to head to Swazi
Our bus ride to Swaziland was about 4 1/2hrs and was a blast!! Krista talked about Swazi culture and Swazi history, our bus driver even had some stories for us.  We stopped about halfway at a GORGEOUS truck stop!!! We got to stretch our legs and have some lunch. They had pretty Americanized food with some local favorites. Cadberry is really big over there and they had some amazing chocolate called 'Top Deck' that I forgot to take a picture of... But it was fabulous!
Lunch time at Appaloosa
Once we arrived in Swazi we checked in to Emafini {Our home for the week!}
The view is breathtaking and the accommodations were so perfect! I wasn't expecting anything close to how nice Emafini is, we are so BLESSED!! 







RVC Team 1 seeing the church for the first time
After dropping off our bags and changing we headed to the River Valley Church- Swazi campus.  As soon as we pulled into the compound, tears instantly filled my eyes.  The interns from GLA{Global Leadership Academy~Post to come soon} were all singing and dancing, welcoming us to their home and to the church.  It was such an amazing afternoon that I doubt I will ever forget! Once we took a quick tour of the church it was time to get to work.  Gerald and Dean got the fun task of landscaping with Vukani and some of the interns.  It was pretty entertaining as the appointed photographer for the day to walk around and see everyone working and laughing and "learning" how to garden!
Meeting the GLA interns
 Nancy, John and Emily took on the task of sorting clothes that had been donated {with some help from a couple cute Prince girls!}.  Pastor Darin and Chris were in charge of chalking the soccer field, very entertaining to watch!! Rachel and Jeff (Sorry I didn't get a photo of you Jeff) cleaned the bathrooms and Krista and Jayne got to sort ministry supplies. Max and Sam alternated between helping to do random things and playing the the massive heard of kids that had congregated when we arrived! They helped us pass out hats that were donated by RVC, all the kids loved them and wore them all afternoon.
Dean and Gareld landscaping
Kiddos with their new hats from RVC ladies
Nancy, John and Emily sorting clothes
Krista and Jayne sorting supplies

Rachel doing some scrubbing!
Ellie found some shorts 
Sam and Iliea sorting ministry supplies




Pastor Darin doing some manual labor

Chalking the soccer field
The girls!







 After we had cleaned, sorted, and gardened we took a few minuets to play on the playground Stephen built.  The view was absolutely breathtaking and made for a perfect backdrop for our photos and for our memories.
Amazing memories in the first three days... To be continued

Love, Hugs and God's Blessings ~ Gretch





No comments:

Post a Comment