Sunday, September 23, 2012

Grace

"Let us therefor come BOLDLY to the throne of GRACE, that we may find MERCY and GRACE in time of need." ~Hebrews 4:16
GRACE:
a : unmerited divine assistance given humans for their regeneration or sanctification
b : a virtue coming from God
c : a state of sanctification enjoyed through divine grace 
MERCY:  
a : compassion or forbearance shown especially to an offender or to one subject to one's power; also : lenient or compassionate treatment 
Message Translation of Hebrews 4:14-16~
"Now that we know what we have—Jesus, this great High Priest with ready access to God—let’s not let it slip through our fingers. We don’t have a priest who is out of touch with our reality. He’s been through weakness and testing, experienced it all—all but the sin. So let’s walk right up to him and get what he is so ready to give. Take the mercy, accept the help."
 
Take the MERCY, take the compassion, take the forgiveness that he is giving us and give thanks.   
 
Forgiveness is a tricky thing, and one that I am just beginning to fully understand.  I am a grudge holder.  I have a really hard time letting go of things that others have done to me, when I hurt, I hurt for a long time.  I think as humans we were made to hold on to things, to dwell on others faults and shortcomings.  As Christians we are taught forgiveness. We are taught that when someone hurts you, you forgive them because we were forgiven.  Jesus took our sins and our burdens and carried the weight of the world to his grave.  He died so that we could live an eternal life free of sin.  He forgave the unforgivable, he endured the unendurable.  So why is it so hard to forgive? Why is it so hard to move on when we have been hurt? 
Romans 5:20-21~ "Sin didn't and doesn't have a chance in competitions with the aggressive forgiveness we call GRACE.  When it is sin versus grace, grace wins hands down.  All sin can do is threaten us with death and that's the end of it.  Grace, because God is putting everything together again through the Messiah, invites us into life - a life that goes on and one, world without end."
 
We were shown mercy, shown compassion when we didn't deserve it.  We are flawed, the church is flawed, religion is flawed, but Jesus is not.  He is perfect.  He took the weight of our sin to the grave so that we would be able to live eternity perfect like he was.  So even when someone doesn't "deserve" our forgiveness, we have to give it to them because it was given to us.  So my challenge to all of you and to myself is to FORGIVE.  Give GRACE to those who have done us wrong and move on.  Life is too short to hold grudges, it is too short to live in a state of anger.  Forgiveness is empowering, it is eye opening! 
We are flawed, but he is not...
 
 
There's only grace. There's only love
There's only mercy and believe me its enough
Your sins are gone
Without a trace
And there's nothing left now
There's only grace

Your starting over now
Under the sun
Your stepping forward now
A new life has begun
Your new life has begun
 
And if you should fall again
Get back up, get back up
Reach out and take my hand
And get back up, get back up
Get back up again
Ooh get back up again 

2 comments:

  1. I, too, am a grudge holder. It is hard for me to forgive people because I am usually in shock that they were so ignorant in the first place. But I've certainly not been perfect, which means it's unfair for me to act hypocritically like that.

    Why do you say that it's part of human composition for us to dwell on the faults of others?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Matthew West! I have struggled at times with forgiveness as well... my dad and I had a horrible relationship, and never really reconciled before he passed away despite me moving 500 miles to be nearby. It is not always easy, but definitely important to make every effort to extend the grace God gives us to others! Great post!

    ReplyDelete