Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Our Purpose

"The lines of purpose in your life never grow slack, tightly tied as they are to your future in heaven, kept taut by HOPE" Colossians 1:5

How amazing is that? My purpose here on earth, right now, is as sure as my future is in heaven! Sometimes I question what my real purpose here on earth is.  Did the Lord send me here to be a loving daughter, sister, and wife? Did he send me to be a nurse, to help people? Did he send me here to share his word? While all of those things apply to me, is that what my purpose is? Or is that just what I have chosen to do with my life? Is there a difference? Do we have a choice, or is everything we do part of his HUGE plan, and we are just playing the part he wants us to play? Its hard for me to find a difference.  While I have had many doubts in life, I haven never once doubted the Lords hand and impact in my life.  I believe that he placed me on this earth to fulfill a specific purpose; and while I can make decisions about what I want to do or who I want to be, he already knows what I am going to chose and the results of that choice. 
I had an amazing God moment today at work.  This is my first week off of orientation and officially on my own, needless to say it has been overwhelming and amazing all at once! There is a song called Jesus in Disguise by Brandon Heath, it has become one of my favorite songs lately.  So I am in a patient room today just going about my business when I overhear my patient's grandma tell my patient, "Whenever you hear that song, Jesus in Disguise you think of your doctors and your nurses and you thank God for sending you Jesus in disguise. They are here to save your life." I had a smile ear to ear and it took everything I had not to cry! Just when I was feeling overwhelmed, he sent me a message that people I barley knew were praying for me.  
How much more obvious does he need to make it, that this is my purpose, this is what he sent me for.  To heal and help people, help children, in their darkest storms.  My heart was full of thanks, my heart was just full.  
I just began sponsoring a child in Africa, more specifically in Swaziland, the country I am going to in February.  As I was writing her a letter the other night I thought about the impact she has had on me lately.  It was hard for my husband to understand my desire and my reasoning for sponsoring a child.  For him it was just an added expense, when we have all of these other things we want to do with our money, lots of projects, lots of wants.  For me it was a calling, a desire to provide for someone what has always been a luxury for us, food, water, shelter and medicine.  I have never been hungry.  I have never not had a place to sleep at night. When I am sick, I go to the doctor, I have health insurance. I thank God everyday for the amazing life he has provided for me. For the things that I worry about, seem so insignificant to the the worries of those living in poverty.  I felt a purpose.  The lord was nudging me just enough where I knew I had to do this for this little girl.  I pray that I will get to meet her when I go to Africa.  I pray that I will be able to shower her with love and the little things in life I take for granted.  She wants to be a doctor when she grows up... I wonder what her purpose is, I wonder what amazing things the Lord has in store for her! I can't wait to watch this story unfold... 

So what is your purpose? Are you embracing his plan or fighting it tooth and nail?
I pray that the lord will make your purpose as clear as he has made mine. Be someone's Jesus in disguise!


You were looking for a king
You would never recognize
Jesus in disguise

So open my eyes, wide as I can
Blind as I am, blind as I am
So open my eyes as wide as I can

1 comment:

  1. For me, I don't feel as though I fight it but rather I don't understand it at times. The most comforting part is knowing that God understands, God knows what's ahead for me, and God would have never put me where he did (or where he does) if it weren't for a specific reason.

    I have been following along with your writing so far. I'm excited for your trip next year and can't wait to hear more in the meantime.

    Love, INI

    ReplyDelete