Wednesday, October 10, 2012

The perfect Bible


The Bible is probably one of my favorite books of all times. I have known it almost my entire life and yet I am still surprised at it's magnitude.  There is so much in it that I do not yet know, and there are so many verses that bring me so much comfort. I have grown so much in the last 9 months just in my faith alone, that I feel like a whole new person. Growing up I had a study bible that I loved! My dad bought it for me shortly before I was confirmed and there are many notes and verses high-lighted in it.  It is hard cover and I have moved it with me for the last 10 years and it to this day resides on my bookshelf in our living room.  It is an amazing bible, but I lost connection with it a long time ago.  I have since moved on, and I can now say I have found a bible that I will use for the rest of my life.  It is amazing! And even better, it is Hot PINK! How cool is that? I am currently doing a bible study on the book of Colossians, and many of the girls in the study have asked me about my bible so I figured I would share. It is the Message translation, which for those of you who don't know it is the contemporary version of the bible.  I am all about it because I can understand what is going on, it tells the story in a modern language and for me that helps me relate and apply it to my everyday life.  There are decent size margins so I can take lots of notes, and write my favorite verses in their more "popular" translations  I have tried using a Bible app, and while that is super convenient, I love being able to write all over and leave marks to find at a later date.  The only downfall is that the "popular verses" don't read the same in the message Bible as they do in a NIV or more traditional version.  But like I said, I just write that popular translation in the margin of the page and then you have both version! So I would advise, if you are in the hunt for a new bible try out some different translation via an app and then find one that is fun and you can understand.  If you wont read it in the store, you are going to read it at home!

1 comment:

  1. nice! that's a fun idea about writing the NIV or whatever other version in the margin so you can see both the translation and the paraphrase. I really love the Amplified Bible - it includes other descriptive words in parentheses, so you can have a little more depth and meaning added to the actual translated words used in the verses. it's pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete